Thinking Aloud in Book Shop


I was at the book shop; I found some interesting books there. The
prices were not very cheap, but I felt it was quite reasonable. There
were new novels. I was prejudice for choosing books. I preferred old
writers as Charles Dickens, Alexandre Dumas,etc

I bought selected stories of Mauppasant for my mother. She liked his
stories very much. His stories were short, but very interesting to
read. I liked some of his short stories. I bought Franz Kafka for me.
He was my grandmother's favorite writer. I heard it from my father. I
wanted to try it. I searched my favorite authors there. I found some
old writer's novels and they were of Indian editions and the prices
were very reasonable. But I found of new authors with high price. They
were original, that's why their price was high.

(I wanted to try to read new author, but the prices were very
expensive. I was not sure that the new ones were good to read or
readable. I thought if I bought new one with high price, if I don't
like it, I would be unhappy for the cost that I spent for the book.)
(But I liked the stories of Ray Bradbury. He was an up-to-date writer
in our days, I thought. So, I tried to find his books. But I could not
find any of his books. But my friends sent me his some of his novels
and I felt I was lucky.)

I saw two volumes of Charles Dickens. There were 4 or 5 complete
novels of his in each volume. The cover was rosy reddish hard cover
and the books were too heavy. I wanted to buy them at once.

(But I thought the book was too heavy to carry and to bring along
during reading. If I found his novel in separated books, I loved to
buy them just the once. So, I gave up for buy it now.)

I also saw complete works of Oscar Wilde. The cover was bright
yellowish hard cover. He was my favorite writer. I had the complete
works of his at my book shelf, but the book of mine was an old one.
The pages became orangish and some pages were wearing away. It was my
grandma's book.


(I wanted to replace with new one. But the price was very expansive. Forget it.)
I decided to buy some biography of Political Leaders; Mao, Napoleon,
etc. The books price was reasonable. I found many biographies in the
shop.

(Some were expensive. I thought I could buy them next time.)

I also found children books. The children books were very expensive.
Some thin books were more expensive.

(I thought which parents could afford to buy them for their children.
I thanked to my grandparents who collected children books for us when
we were kids. We never worried about books since we were children.
There were colorful and exciting books as Eagles, Princess, Knowledge,
Finding Out, Look and Learn, June and Schoolfriend, Encyclopedia, etc.
in our childhood book shelves. We never felt poverty in books. If we
bored to read this or if we did not like that, we could change with
another one. But nowadays, children books were very expansive. The
parents could not buy them all at once. Only one book could not
attract to children. So, it meant the children became bore for
reading. Rich in books could arouse for desiring to read, I thought! )

(But most of the children today are not interested in books. It was
not because their parents could not buy books with high price. It was
perhaps because the other activities had more attraction to children.
It was difficult to change their interests. I wondered if the price of
children books were cheaper, the children would have become book
lovers?)

Finally I looked upon the art category, there were many various
collections. Some books were packed with plastic bags. So, I could not
see inside. But they were very interesting. If one could need this
subject, it was easy to buy there.

(Some of my friends who were artists said today-generations were
luckier than of older days. The modern instruments for art or any art
books were easy to find in the book shops. It might be true. I found
many books about art were at the book shop. The price was very
expensive. I felt myself lucky because I was not a type of an artist.)

I realized that I spent too much money for books today. But I never
regret for that. Books were treasures for us as my grandmother's
saying. I believed I never blamed myself for spending money for books.

--
'J'

Comments

  1. Book world is in danger. Now many book shops are closing down. It's sad..but true is we can have a good bargain in that closing down sale. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment