The Adventure of My Practising Sunlun Way of Vipassana Meditation

(2022-23 video 'Adventure of practicing sunlun way ofVipassana Meditation.)


           Since I was a child, Sunlun Sayadaw U Vinaya (Meditation Master, and former Head of Sunlun Gu Kyaung Vipassana Meditation Monastery) guided us to practice meditation. By the Sayadaw’s guidance, and encouragement, I was not afraid of starting to do meditation. After  Sayadaw U Vinaya passed away, we continued to do meditation as Sayadaw’s training. But one thing for sure was the difference between practice meditation at home and practice meditation at the monastery. At home, the time seemed to pass slowly. Under the guidance of the Sayadaw, the time seems to pass quickly. 



 (Sunlun Sayadaw U Vinaya in 2007.)         

            For many years I was busy and had not time to go and do meditation at the monastery regularly. But I tried to practice meditation at home for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes. I could not do for 2 hours as I once did. According to Sayadaw U Vinaya’s talk, although you had missed doing meditation for the long time being, the time you did meditation at your childhood or at your younger days would never be history for you. It would carry on, and those hard work still valuable for you.  

From the last 3 months, going to the Sunlun monastery once per week, and do meditation  again under the guidance of Sunlun Sayadaw, and meditation master, U Wara. Before we were doing meditation, we all paid attention to the Venerable Sayadaw U Wara’s speeches. His talk encouraged us so much. Sayadaw also advised that we could do meditation at home or at the monastery, or at any place with the time as we convenient. The important thing is, do not forget to do meditation regularly or habitually. 

 
 (Sunlun Sayadaw U Wara (Meditation Master, and Head of Sunlun Gu Kyaung Vipassana Meditation Monastery) gave a speech before meditation.)

Although I missed for many years to do meditation, I tried my best to do with 100 minutes as the timetable.  (At every session, we had to sit cross legs and breathe hard for 50 minutes, during which one must not move a limb, or scratch or pause or change position. Only be mindful of the touch of the air on the nostril or upper up. After survived the breathing session, we were told to stop suddenly and completely on an inhaled breath. With the body still we were told to watch sensation of pain, cramp, ache, and numbness, heat or cold which had arisen in the body. It would last another 50 minutes.)

This time, I looked upon myself while meditating. While I was doing meditation at home, or at the Sunlun monastery, I noticed that I was thinking and my mind was wandering too much. I could not control myself from thinking a lot. I know it would disturb during the meditation. I thought I do not THINK even in the normal state. 

 
(Don't change position, don't move, don't open your eyes, don't think too much during meditation.) 
(Illustrated by Maung Yit)


One day, Sayadaw U Wara gave a speech especially to the temporary non-Burmese monks who were candidates starting to practice meditation. Sayadaw encouraged them not to be afraid of everything happened during sitting. Yes, every sitting is a new experience and adventure for all.

I listened carefully in Sayadaw’s talk. It was lucky that Sayadaw gave a speech about how to do meditation in detail. If we were thinking too much while meditating, we would say ourselves ‘if you want to think about it, think it after meditating’. It was a best advice! Sayadaw continued, if our mind was going somewhere, concentrate your mind in breathing-in, and breathing-out. Sayadaw said it could pass the time shorter, and quicker. Surprisingly on that day, by obeying Sayadaw U Wara’s guidance, the time seemed quicker, and I could do more concentration than ever in meditation.

I was thankful to Sayadaw’s short talk. I now share my readers my experiences of meditation.

Here is the link; Sequel of The Adventure of My Practicing Sunlun Way of Vipassana Meditation; 

Comments