A Visit To The Shwedagon Pagoda

 
(Still crowded, and crowded at the pagoda platform whether it rained heavily or under the bad weather.)

People visited to the Shwedagon Pagoda frequently. Paying respect at the foot of the pagoda is one of the ways of Buddhist life. People crowded at the Pagoda platform every time we visited. Practice meditation, offering flowers, candles, incenses or colorful things, or walking on the pagoda platform mostly as keeping the Shwedagon Pagoda at the right side, or praying, etc that Buddhists usually do.

 
(Watering stupa, and mythical symbol, at the birthday corner.)

When I was young, I went to the Shwedagon pagoda with my friends the time final examination finished. We prayed, and wished for what we wanted at the foot of the pagoda. Surely we were wishing to pass the examination with distinction, or with credit.


(We wish everything we want at the foot of the pagoda.)

Today, I was going to the Shwedagon Pagoda accompanying my aunt and my cousin. My aunt bought candles, and incenses at the pagoda stall. She said she had to offer some amount of incenses, and candles at one of the corners of the pagoda. She believed her doing would have the better fortune for her family. She also said that if one would meet bad luck told by the astrologer, one should visit to the Shwedagon pagoda immediately, and offer some amount of candles at the foot of the pagoda.

I recalled the memory of my younger days. When my grandma was very ill, and hospitalized, we went to the Shwedagon pagoda, and offered 73 candles (it represented her recent age), and poured 73 cups of water at the Buddha image at the Saturday corner (she was born on Saturday.). No need to ask the astrologer! As I told you before, Buddhist usually went to the pagoda, and believed that the act of good deed would lead us the better luck, and gain the best fortune not only in the present but also in the future.

 
(‘Child Holding Brahma Image’ at the Wednesday corner.)

            When we reached the Wednesday corner of the Shwedagon pagoda, my cousin showed me one of the figures holding a child at his bosom. She said if a woman longed for a child, she would visit there, and wish for her longing at ‘Child holding Brahma Image’. I had never heard of it before. If my grandma still alive, I wanted to share this information with her. I missed her so much.

During my waiting my aunt and my cousin were praying at one of the corners, I practiced meditation at the Thursday corner (I was born on Thursday) for a little minutes, and I poured water at the Buddha image at the Saturday corner (for my grandma), at the Tuesday corner (for my grandpa, and my mother), at the Wednesday corner (for my father), and at the Thursday corner (for us – my twin brother, and me), and offered flowers at the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday for all my loved ones to have a happy, and healthy life forever. I also put some coins or notes into the donation boxes around the pagoda. 


(Offering candles, and incenses at the foot of the pagoda, and prayed for all my loved ones be healthy, and happy.)

I saw people still crowded, and crowded at the pagoda platform although it rained heavily or under the bad weather. No need to give reasons for visiting the Shwedagon pagoda, we had so many good deeds to do there.

Comments