The Adventure of My Book Reading

Dumas, Bradbury, Poe, O Henry, Hardy, Wilde, Dickens………..

Among my favorite writers, O Henry was one of them. I started noticed his story with ‘The Last Leaf’. It was an amazing story that I had ever read of his, twist of plot and unexpected ending. I wanted to read more of his short stories. But I did not have much of his books in my book shelf. But I found some of his short stories in Collected Short Stories. I read his stories from here and there. I enjoyed his style very much.

I Have Found It!

I searched his books at the book stores in my country. But I could not find it. One day I found his Complete Short Stories of O Henry with India Edition and it cost 1,5000 kyats in Ava Book Shop which was located near Hleedan. The book was very big and heavy one. There might be hundreds of his short stories in it. At that moment I found other novels there that I searched for a long time. So, I thought which books I preferred to buy first? I decided that I had to choose other books first. The price 1,5000 kyats was not very expensive, but if I bought it, I could not buy other ones. Some novels cost between 6500 kyats to 9000 kyats. So I bought 2 or 3 novels and I left O Henry’s book at the shop. I would buy it next month then!

Believe It or Not!

One month later, I went to Ava Book shop. Unfortunately I saw that the shop was closed. I asked the next door what happened. I was told that the book shop was not to be opened here from now on. It changed their place somewhere near Hleedan. A week later, I found the new Ava Book shop that was not very far from the old place. But there were new novels and I could not find the book I wanted. I asked them about it. But it was hopeless.



Regret

My father scolded me a lot for my decision when I found the book that I had decided to buy it next time. He also said that books were very rare in our country. If you saw it, you would have to buy it at once or if you had not enough money, you had to request the book seller to keep it for you and you would return your home and take the money and buy this book as soon as possible. Why you were sure for that you could buy the books when you wanted? He said this was my fault.



Comments