My Experience of Writing Articles in Children Magazine

Some year ago I was asked for writing articles in one of the
children magazines in our country. This magazine was very popular. I
was proud of myself for this offer. It was a great chance. My mother
was already a story writer for children. But the editor did not ask my
mother. So it was surprising! But my mother encouraged me to write
something for children.

Firstly I learnt that magazine. There were cartoons, puzzles, stories
including the interviews with children. I thought this magazine lacked
knowledge. So I decided to write Encyclopedia for children. I chose
some interesting subjects and tried to find good pictures for the
magazine. I was excited for this work. That magazine was for age 8-12
(might be), I did not remember. But it was for children. I also had
experience of reading knowledge magazines in English when I was a
child. There were many things to educate children. I did not
understand all, but I loved to see the interesting photos of science
and other subjects. I thought it was a good idea to write Encyclopedia
for children.

I collected information and I learnt old science books for children. I
was happy to do it and I enjoyed my preparation. Finally I wrote 3 or
4 articles about science with some interesting pictures. I gave my
articles and waited for their publishing. A month later, there was my
first science article appeared in the children magazine. I thought it
was good for children. If children were not interested in science at
first, they would love to see the pictures. Yes, it was sure, because
when I was a child, I did not interested in science, but again and
again saw these articles regularly in the magazine or journal, I
noticed later that how valuable information they were.

After 2 articles appeared, the editor said my articles might be too
high for children. It was a little boring, the editor said. I replied
that it was not surprising it, but you would find out later the
children could appreciate them. It was just the beginning. It was too
soon to make this remark. The editor agreed and I went on my writing.
But, after my 4 or 5 articles published in the magazine, the editor
did not want to continue to publish my articles any more.

'Epilogue'
I told myself that I was too confident for my work. It was a lesson
for me not to self-assure for my writing.
--
'J'

Comments