‘Economic View and Traditional View’

maungyit 





My grandmother said ‘It is quite impossible for a Myanmar to survive without knowing on which day of the week he or she was born. Without this knowledge, one would not even know on which day of the week to have a haircut or to shampoo one’s hair.’ She also quoted from Shway Yoe’ writings that you must remember the day that it is unlucky to wash your hair or to have a haircut on a Monday or a Friday or a birthday. ‘A Burman’s birthday, it must not be forgotten, occurs once a week.’ When a Myanmar says ‘birthday’, he means the day of the week on which he was born.
Our birthday was Thursday (I and my twin brother). So Thursday, Friday and Monday are our unlucky days for washing our hair or to have our haircut. It is a Burmese custom or Burmese tradition of ancient wisdom. We obeyed it since our childhood. I noticed that some hair-cutting saloons always closed on Monday or Friday. Most of the people wanted to be careful about to follow this traditional customs.

‘Modern World’

One day I had a plan to have my haircut. My cousin advised that I could choose the days for haircut on Monday or Friday for money saving. I did not understand at first. I believed for a long time that these days are about to obey for our Burmese custom, not to have a haircut. She said the hair-cutting saloons now discounted the fees for haircuts on these two days of the week, because there were fewer customers they had on Monday and Friday. So they reduced the price for haircut on Monday and Friday. So it made their customers come especially on these two days. It was because of their reduced price. What a surprise!

‘Epilogue’

I now realized that sometimes I found more customers in some hair-cutting saloons on Monday or Friday. I felt that our Burmese tradition now became disappeared for having saving money! I am afraid some young people had grown to have knowledge that Monday and Friday were lucky days because the hair-cutting saloons reduced the price for their haircut? It seemed quite good for the economics view. It gained more customers on especially these two days of the week. But from the traditional point of view, our customary wisdom will now become faded away.
--
'J'

Comments

  1. You are a prolific blogger. I admire you.
    Here in Canada, one does not know which day he or she was born. I told them that the Myanmar people name their children on the day the children were born. They are amaze when I told them that children do not have to take their father's name. That of course has changed too, I guess. It is quite stylish to add one's father's name.
    Happy Blogging!
    Aunty Kaythwe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment