The Adventure of My Book Reading!



 When I found the old novel; ‘Anna Karennina’ by Leo Tolstoy from the book shelf of our grandparents, I decided to read it. The book was very thick so I thought it might be a complete story of ‘Anna’. It was translated from the original(Russia) into English and with introductory essay by Thomas Mann. It also had the colorful illustrations in chapter by chapter. The covers were lost and the book was too old. The pages became yellowish. Some pages were loosened from its corner. I didn’t see the translator’s name there. After I had finished part IV of ‘Anna Karennina’, there were no more pages left. So, the novel was not complete!



 ‘Alexey was left alone with his son in his house at Peterburg, while Anna and Vronsky had gone ahead, not having obtained a divorce, but having absolutely declined all idea of one.’ It was I read last lines of part IV of ‘Anna karenina’.

I had to browse this novel to read complete story. But I could not find the book of ‘Anna’ here. I tried to go and find this novel at every book shops. It was hopeless. Fortunately I found my friend who had a plan to visit here recently. So my friend x brought it for me now. I was happy to receive it. I had read the unfinished novel last 2 months ago. So, I did not forget what I had read last time. I could remember all the characters and I hoped they would be still in my memory. 


The novel which I received now was a new edition and it was also a new translation published in 2000. It was translated into English by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. Now I planned to start to read from Part V. If I did not remember the story, I would have to start from previous chapters or from Part IV. If it was translated different from the old style, I would have to read from the beginning. No problem! I love reading.

It was the adventure of my reading experience. How exciting!

Comments