‘Seeing Is Believing’

Photo-Above – (from Encyclopedia 2006, Fifty countries signed the
charter on 26 june 1945. Poland signed it shortly after making the
first 51 Member States of the UN. The charter was based on proposals
made by China, Britain, the USA and the Soviet Union. Now the number
of member nations has risen for 51 to 125.)


'My grandfather said that 24th of October was a great day for the
world. It was a day of international significance, for it was on 24th
October 1945. It was the day the United Nations Organization came into
being. It was a day of bright hopes for the future of mankind. It was
a day for the people's prayer for a peaceful world. At that time my
grandfather talked about that day, I was too young to understand. But
I was happy to hear these wonderful words from my grandfather.

There had been two great wars and people had gone through unfold
suffering, we feared that we could not face such a thing again. We
were afraid of being another war broke out. If it so, it would be the
end of the world. But my grandfather said not to be afraid of, because
the founding of the United Nations Organization was the result and in
it lies all our hopes for a peaceful and happy new world. WHO, FAO,
UNICEF, UNESCO were several agencies of United Nation Organization
(UNO). They had special duties and they did noble work. Hence, as we
greet the United Nations Day which is coming round again, we must
renew our pledge to make the world a better and happier place to live
in.'

When I was at school, I had to memorize and recited by heart to write
down in the essay about UN day in the examination. I had to be careful
to know all the abbreviation of UN, FAO, UNESCO, etc. It would give us
good marks in the exam! I thanked my grandfather for explaining the
meaning of UN in simple way.


'Seeing Is Believing'

I thought that their success means the world is being made safe from
war and violence, poverty and ignorance, sickness and disease. We had
to measure their success by seeing how our world keeps on toward
international peace and tranquility and the people's happiness.


--
'J'

Comments