‘Thought and prose are to the writer instruments of an art.’

I have been a writer since 1996.
I loved to write and sometimes I loved to translate my grandmother'
books as 'Flowers and festivals round the Burmese Year', 'Three years
under the Japs' into Burmese. I translated my grandma' books because I
liked it. I loved my grandma' writings and I appreciated her works
very much. I translated some stories or articles of Oscar Wilde or
Edgar Allen Poe or etc, because I liked their works.
But sometimes among my friends or among readers, there was
mis-interpretation between the words 'translator' and 'writer'. They
thought I was working as both a translator and a writer. But I
considered myself as a writer. I often was asked to translate into
Burmese some papers or some articles. When I refused, they offered
with double payment. I did not accept because I did not like these
articles or papers. I only translate if I like. Sometimes they were
angry with me for refusing their offers. That kind of amount might be
bigger than I was given from writing. Yes, it was absolutely true.
But writing is a kind of art. I consider myself as a writer like an
artist, the creator of beautiful things.

Comments