Beggars cannot be choosers or I had to choose to be a writer

I never once considered myself as a writer even I started to write in
1996. I began writing articles about my experience of University life,
but I thought it should not be long. I believed I was to be a
mathematics teacher. Writing was just a part time work for me at that
moment! My ambition was to be a teacher like my grandfather or my
father. I never envied my grandmother at that time. I obtained the
M.Sc degree in mathematics in 1997. But I triply failed the entrance
examination to apply for the job of full time tutor at the University
of Yangon. So, I gave up hope of becoming a teacher.
I had no choice but stayed at home since 1997. But I had a chance to
look after my grandmother who was suffered arthritic pains made her
spend most of her time in bed. It was 'blessing in disguise' as my
grandfather' saying for reading many books accompanying with her. She
taught me how to read poems and she suggested books for reading. When
my grandmother passed away in 1999, I was very satisfied with reading
and writing.
Sometimes I thought what if I got the job at the University, I would
become a teacher or a writer?

Comments