‘My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold The River Irrawaddy’

The Irrawaddy is the river the most well known and the longest in
Burma. It flows along from north to south. It begins where the two
rivers Mayka and Maylika meet at the north of Burma at the Kachin
state. The visitors love to see the rencontre of the two rivers. We
call it 'MyitSon' (le rencontre de deux rivieres). This place always
attracts people so much.
The Irrawaddy flows north to south, so it passes many towns and many
places along streaming. I have little chance to visit 'MyitSon'. But I
have many chances to see the river Irrawaddy when I visit the
countries which are near Irrawaddy. My grandmother always pointed the
Irrawaddy when we were closed to see it. 'Look, you see the river
flowing there! It is called the river 'Irrawaddy'.' I looked what my
grandmother was pointing, the river was very wide and never ending
flowing. Under the sunshine the surface of the river was as shine as
gold. If we saw the river Irrawaddy at the night, the river seemed
flowing silently and the surface of the river as glow as lightening
under the moon lit night.
I remembered when we travelled to Sitkaing Hill, my grandmother
decided to hire a punt steered by man and ordered him to drive
circling the Sitkaing Hill in the river Irrawaddy. My grandmother made
us viewed the beauty of Sitkaing Hill from the river Irrawaddy. We
were happy together in the punt and enjoying our new adventure.
When we went Pathein(Irrawaddy Division) by ship many times in our
younger days, our vessel streamed on the river Irrawaddy. I looked
down the river from the ship with devotion. I also saw many boats and
small ships which were cruising along the river after we started to
sail. When we travelled to middle regions of Burma, we were enjoying
seeing the river Irrawaddy flowing beautifully. We watched seagulls
flying around the ship and we were feeding foods to them.

People use the river Irrawaddy not only for travelling but also for
their occupations. The people lived near the river were fishing and
digging gold from the river too. The wildlife near the river live
depends on the life of the river Irrawaddy. The various fish lives in
the river. The birds are flying above. The spices of floating plants
manage to live in water perfectly. The flowers floating on the surface
give us feel exciting. We saw these things naturally live with the
river Irrawaddy. We do not alone need the river. The animals, plants,
flowers, fishes, birds and all the things born from the world need the
river Irrawaddy.
There were many songs and poems praised the river Irrawaddy. They
composed it as a princess, sometimes as a mother, sometimes as a
daughter of Mayka and Maylika, sometimes as a bride,…. We found how
our Burmese people love and devote the river so much from these poetic
verses. The films also have many scenes in their settings. The writers
also put the river Irrawaddy in their narratives as a remarkable
representation
The river Irrawaddy is always flowing thousands of miles in the centre
of Burma. I sometimes envy the people who live near the river
Irrawaddy. They can smell the sweet scent of fresh air from the river
every day. They can hear the sound of flowing every day. They can see
the graceful image of it. If anyone who are interested in drawing,
they can sit near it and draw the portrait of the beautiful river with
the sun set. The children can play near the artist and glimpse what he
draws. They can swim every time and they can spend many hours beside
the river when they are tired of their work. I also envy the children
who live near Irrawaddy; they can play along the river like Tom Sewyer
and Huck Fin of Mark Twain who had fun many adventures along the river
Mississippi.
'My heart leaps up when I behold the river Irrawaddy,
Please let her be stronger and healthier,
Let the river be as beautiful as forever.'

(photo-left-> We were in the punt along the Irrawaddy near SitKaing
Hill, and my father took this photo from other punt, I was in front
wearing a big hat!
right -> Nowadays I was with my friends at the same route and same
endroit as we visited before. I was standing at the front of the
bigger ship that was driving ahead so far. When I was watching the
river Irrawaddy, (might be thinking of our old memories?), my friend
took this photo from behind.)

Comments