Rich in Birthdays in Burmese Way



          I was born in the 14th March, so the 14th March was my birthday. It meant that the other 364 days (365 on leap year) were unbirthdays to me as John Tenniel’s line.

Moreover as Shwey Yoe says in his book ‘The Burman: His Life and Notions’, ‘A Burman’s birthday occurs once a week.’ The day means the day of the week on which he was born. I was a Thursday-born, so every Thursday are my birthdays. (Here I have twin brother – just 5 minutes older than me, so our birthday occurs once a week.) 

(Happy birthday to us on 14th March the same date that the great scientist Albert Einstein was born.)
To celebrate the birthday once a week, of course, essential to know the day of the week on which one was born.

Furthermore by the Burmese calendar, we were born in the day after the full moon day of Tahboung (March). But the 14th March, and the day after the full moon day of Tahbaung - could not occur on the same day in every year at the calendar. If the 14th March, and the Thursday, and the day after the full moon day of Tahbaung occur on the same day at the calendar, that year would be the remarkable coincidence to us.

By the picture below, you will see the copy of the month of March of 2016. I circled the 14th March as our birthday (yellow crayon). The full moon day of Tahbaung was 23rd March (red crayon), so the day after the full moon day was 24th (blue crayon). Then 24th was our Burmese birthday again. 

(A copy of the month of March of 2016.)


(Fortunately, the day after the full moon day of Tahbaung, and the Thursday are on the same day!)

So, my reader will see how rich in birthday the Burman are! How lucky we are born in Burma! For you, my non-Burmese friends, think about your birthday, and what-day-born, and calculate the number of unbirthdays/ birthdays of yours in a year.


Comments

Post a Comment