A Memory of My Grandparents(4) - (U) Khin Maung Latt and (Daw) Khin Myo Chit



Their Background and Their Families




(My grandparents in 1954)



My Grandpa – (U) Khin Maung Latt



(My grandpa in 1936.)


My grandfather (U) Khin Maung Latt was born in 1915, 26th August at Monywa, Upper Burma. U Nyunt, a government officer of Bombay Burma (Teak) Company, was his father,, and Daw Khin Thwet was his mother. My grandpa had three brothers and three sisters, and he was number 6th.
 

  

(U Nyunt worked at Bombay Burma Company.)


My grandpa was graduated 9th standard (middle school) from Monywa National School (1920-30), and High School from Monywa (Buddhist School) in 1931-32, first year in Mandalay University, and then moved to Rangoon University in 1933-34. Between 1936 and 1939, he worked at Bombay Burma Company as a clerk. He had left college, an undergraduate, not being able to continue his studies yet because of the decline in family fortunes.


(Let me continue his education life on other next parts of this chapter, I now write about my grandmother before she met my grandpa….)


My grandma – (Daw) Khin Myo Chit

 


 

(My grandma in 1935.)

My grandmother (Daw) Khin Myo Chit, her real name was Ma Khin Mya, was born in 1915, 1st May at Sagaing, Upper Burma. She had 3 brothers and one sister, and she was the eldest. U Taw and Daw Than Tin  were her parents. Her paternal grandparents were U Phay, and Ba-maw Khin Lay Gyi from Mandalay. 


U Phay was scholar and archaeologist. My grandma said that with his guidance she learnt old court dramas, heroic plays of ancient stories, Burmese classical music and songs, and she became appreciate the frescoes painted on the walls of the temples from old Bagan city. My grandma also was heard about the histories of old pagodas of Mandalay from him. Because of his teaching, my grandma learnt about the reign of the great King Anawrahta , who with his great courage and energy introduced religious and social reforms in the middle of the eleventh century. The ancient inscriptions became magically alive when her grandfather read and translated them to her. ‘With this grandfather, I lived in the glorious past.’ - that she always said to me.






(U Phay, and Banmaw Khin Lay Gyi.)



  

(U Phay –Burmese Scholar, writer, poet and Archeaologist, Retired Officer of Burmese Stone Inscription Bureau.)


Her maternal grandparents - U Aung Tha (Police Officer) and (Daw) Phwar Nyunt lived in Sagaing – Upper Burma, where her happiest memories were associated with it. The peaceful and calm life of her maternal grandparents always mentioned in her writing as ‘I have a happy time on my grandpa’s estate. Life at my grandpa’s place was calm and peaceful and leisurely.’ Her father serving as an officer, worked in Lower Burma towns, and my grandma often stayed at Sagaing with her grandparents, and she found her happiest memories there.
 






(1943 photo, U Aung Tha (standing with Old Police Uniform.))


(My grandma in her younger days.)



My grandmother was a Saturday first-born, and seemed became victim of old-time-belief as ‘ A first born Saturday child boded evil’. She was far from being happy with her parents, feeling unwanted, and she sometimes said the Saturday child story being repeated very often in her childhood life. And ‘Being a silly girl, not a son’ – such a disappointment was added to her unhappy childhood memories.






(U Taw – Father of my grandma – a man with Koung Paung (Burmese wear hat) sitting facing the viewer, at Pyay Yeiktha House in 1960?.)


When she was twelve years old, there was a novitiation (become monks) ceremony of her younger brothers at her Grandpa’s town - Sagaing. Before heads shaves and don the yellow robes, her brothers dressed in princely robes and carried on a decorated horse’s back. Novitiation is often coupled with the ear-boring ceremony of the daughters, so she and her sister shared the great day with her younger brothers. My grandma sometimes told me how they wore in the style of old Burmese court dress and diamond ornament.







(In 1928, in the style of old Burmese court dress and diamond ornament, my grandma (right), and her sister (left) from the viewer, and one of her younger brothers sat between them.)

She desperately wanted to be a doctor, it might be her young ambition. Her mother did not let her to be a doctor, and she even did not agree to continue her daughter’s interest in the studies more. Her younger sister left school before she had finished her middle school. Her father had allowed my grandma to continue her education in spite of her mother said ‘no’.

Although her parents against her education to go on, she managed to earn money by doing embroidered dress pieces and household linen. The years of reading both Burmese and English literatures filled her head with rich idea which somehow had found the outlet.

She reached middle school in 1920 at Pyay, graduated from the middle school at ThaYet, and passed the high school at MeikHtiLar National School. During 1932-33, she stayed at Innya Hall as first year University student in Rangoon University. My grandma said she went to college, and took subjects at random. 


(to be continued..)
 

Comments

  1. Bombay Burma is just private business not governmental organization but wonder why you wrote
    "U Nyunt, a government officer of Bombay Burma (Teak) Company"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment